Association of Library and Information Professionals of the Czech Republic
Association of Library and Information Professionals of the Czech Republic (SKIP in Czech) is a voluntary, special and professional organization of librarians and information professionals which has a character of a civic association.
The mission of SKIP is an effort to constantly improve the standards of library and information services and in that manner to increase the professional prestige. It also works toward the goal of better conditions for the development and activities of libraries and information centres.
SKIP has more than 1,850 members (over 850 libraries and over 1,000 individuals) which makes it the largest professional body for librarians, information professionals and libraries in the Czech Republic. It is organized regionally – it has ten regional committees. Specialized activities are handled by sections such as that for public libraries, by clubs such as that for children libraries, and by commissions such as a commission for international relations.
Our activities include:
- participating in the creation and implementation of professional legislation
- cooperation with educational institutions and other organizations which deal with librarianship and information science in this country and abroad
- organization of professional and social events for librarians and information professionals
- taking part in professional training of specialists and contributes toward lifelong learning for librarians and information professionals
- developing contacts with professional associations and organizations of the same or similar objective both in this country and abroad, it is a member of IFLA and EBLIDA
- publishing a professional newsletter Bulletin SKIP
Our projects include:
- Start Life with a Book – a national version of the Bookstart project
- I Am Already a Reader – Book for First Grader – a project to support reading habits in children
- March – Readers' Month and Library Week – nationwide campaigns aimed at promoting libraries and library services
- Night with Andersen – an annual sleepover for children in libraries and other institutions
- Archives, Libraries, Museums in the Digital World – an annual conference bringing together professionals from all types of GLAM institutions
If you wish to learn more about us in English, feel free to consult the following resources:
- a leaflet introducing us (pdf, 7.14 MB)
- a presentation on our activities (pdf, 4.87 MB)
- slides from the Libraries for Challenging Times describing our projects focused on reading
- a poster on the Night with Andersen presented at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2019
- stories on the IFLA Library Map of the World describing two of our key projects:
- slides from the GLAM Project Coordinators' Meeting With Czech Librarians presenting the history of the Archives, Libraries, Museums in the Digital World conference series
You can also consult a leaflet in German (pdf, 6.53 MB).
Are you interested in joining SKIP? Or do you wish to find out more? Please feel free to contact us.